Frequently Asked Questions

Is VAT and travel additional to the quoted price?

Most of the time the price we quote is the price you pay, unless we agree that expenses are to be added to the invoice. This would generally occur where flights, ferries, hotel, and additional transport is needed, or where we need to charge for mileage. If we need to charge expenses, we always keep our expenses to a sensible level and try and agree them with you before the survey if possible.

What payment types do you accept

We accept payments by BACS, by cheque, and online via credit cards.


If you verbally book a survey and then cancel, we reserve the right to charge a cancellation fee if it is not possible to fill the agreed date for the survey. The cancellation fee will depend on how close to the survey date you cancel.

Can I attend the survey?

During the survey I need to be able to concentrate on what I am doing. There are numerous systems and structures to be inspected and I need to be able to work without interruption in order to do the best job for my client.

If you do attend then please be aware that I may not be able to answer all of your questions as you ask them in order to concentrate on what I am doing.

The survey is generally not particularly exciting to watch, so the best time to come is when the boat is out the water where you can see the part of the boat that is not usually visible. I would recommend letting me get on with the survey and coming along just for a short period which includes the out of water part of the survey.

What are the YDSA, the IIMS, and RINA?

YDSA stands for the “Yacht Designer’s and Surveyors Association”. It is the only professional association purely for small craft surveyors. The members are assessed for their competence and standard by their peers and only those who’s competence is deemed good enough are accepted as members. I am an Accredited Member of the YDSA, and on both the committee and management council. There are less than 200 members of the YDSA. The YDSA is a certifying authority, recognised by the Marine and Coastguard Agency for both Tonnage and Small commercial vessel coding.

The IIMS (International Institute of Marine Surveyors) is similar but covers a much larger range of ships and boats. The surveyors cover everything from tankers and container ships to small craft. There are around 1500 members of the IIMS covering every type of ship and boat. I am a Fellow of the IIMS.

Both the YDSA and the IIMS have specific Professional Indemnity requirements for their surveyors who survey small craft.

RINA stands for The Royal Institution of Naval Architects. I am a Naval Architect by training, and have been a member of RINA since 1994, and I am a Chartered Engineer through RINA. I am also a Fellow of RINA.

Can you do valuations for finance/insurance companies?


Either this can be done as a standalone valuation, or on the back of a pre-purchase or insurance survey. There is an additional charge for valuations that are carried out on the back of a pre-purchase or condition survey

I need to register the boat to get a mortgage. Can you help?

Yes, I can.

The mortgage company will probably want the boat registered on Part 1 of the British Register of Ships, as they can register a charge against the boat on this register. To do this you will need a tonnage survey – effectively a known pair of eyes seeing that the boat exists, registering hull numbers and engine serial numbers, and taking a few measurements of the hull to identify the boat.

We can carry out the tonnage survey for you and guide you through the tonnage survey process with the certifying authorities.